Posts Tagged Nonprofit
This post originally appeared on Andy’s blog: Social Media for Social Organizations.
Foursquare is my favorite social network because it intersects with location. Nonprofits, associations, and social organizations can extend the reach of their organization by using foursquare’s tips that are left at venues. When a user checks in to a venue, a tip from that venue will appear in the app. Tips are a growing component of foursquare - accentuated by the new “Explore” tab.
Tips can be created online at foursquare.com or in the mobile app.
Organizations can maximize their presence on foursquare with these tips about tips:
- Blend information about the venue and your organization (Stay relevant!)
- Share something insightful or interesting or amusing… [NWF Example]
- Be “evergreen” – a tip that won’t have an expiration date
- Think “do-able” to inspire users to mark “I’ve done this”
- Leave tips at venues that relate to your target audience
- Add a link back to a related blog post on your site [DigIN Example]
- Include a picture with your tip
- Embed foursquare tips on your website [VisitPA example]
- Promote your tips on Facebook / Twitter
- Thank users for completing your tip (new notifications in the app or by email)
- Bonus: Run a campaign to drive users to complete your tips during a certain time period.
What is Lemonade Day?
Lemonade Day is a free, city-wide initiative designed to teach kids how to start, own and operate their own business – a lemonade stand.
Lemonade Day launched in Indianapolis in 2010 and over 7,400 kids signed up! We had over 50 sponsors and community partners involved and Governor Daniels and Mayor Ballard were big supporters. It was a HUGE success!
Today, we have over 10,000 kids with stands across the city, including at Marsh Supermarkets, Cafe Patachou, H.H. Gregg, and Indy Parks. Many of our locations are listed here.
Be sure to checkin on foursquare when you’re out enjoying your lemonade today!
On Friday, July 16th Mashable shared How Non-Profits Can Maximize a Foursquare Account. There is some great information on the site about how some nonprofit organizations are utilizing Foursquare’s API, creating a brand page, and offering special badges, discounts, or mayor specials.
These examples are pretty high end for most organizations. So here are 4 easy steps to integrate Foursquare into your Social Media Plan today: Read the rest of this entry »